Thamsanqa Jantjie, the man dubbed a “fake” after his antics at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service in Johannesburg on Tuesday said in a recent interview he was suffering from an episode of schizophrenia when he began hallucinating and signing “nonsense” during the four-hour ceremony. Condemned by the deaf community, his interpretations have attracted the attention of the world’s media.
US talk show host Jimmy Kimmel even invited a real sign language interpreter onto his show to translate the signing. Check out the rather hilarious video below and find what the interpreter really said:
LOL, I know.
- Gruesome New Allegations About Mandela Sign Language Interpreter (theblaze.com)
- Relative: Mandela signer in group that burned men (bigstory.ap.org)
- Report: Mandela interpreter has court record (kcci.com)
- Interpreter at Mandela memorial defends work (kcci.com)
- The meaning of Thamsanqa Jantjie by Slavoj Zizek (magudvu.wordpress.com)
- Mandela memorial interpreter asks for forgiveness (kcci.com)